Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Skills Game near-miss


First of all, congratulations to F-Train, who deservedly won his ToC seat with a dominant performance. He built up a huge stack and never relinquished the chiplead at the final table. I thought I was well-positioned to mount a serious challenge but I scuffled with my only real significant play error to fall out of a solid 50K-ish 3rd place stack at the final table and down to a three-way crowd in the basement with six players left. I then found a good spot with dead money to overshove my 25K-ish stack over the top of F-Train's raise with a hand that has good equity against his range, but my KQJ9 rundown didn't improve enough for me to survive against what unfortunately turned out to be a ragged KKxx.

Along the way I did make two impressive hands. I got paid off as much as could be expected in the former ...


... but I scared away my customer in the latter with a turn check-raise.


Last week, it was CK busting me. This week, F-Train. I cry anti-Canuck conspiracy.

With two final tables in six events played, the BBT4 is off to a profitable start, but I've still fallen short of the goal: extending my ToC streak to three.

6 comments:

1Queens Up1 said...

grats PL

CEMfromMD said...

Nice run, I have to say I was surprise by how many people made it out last night. How much different could the finish have been if F-Train did not have such a dominant stack coming into the final table?

BamBam said...

Another nice run! Well done.

But I'll call you out on the anti-Canuckian deal. CK and F-Train have never been anything but fantastic to this one!

I use Speed Stick... and you?

:p

Shrike said...

CK & F-Train are great people; I just wish they wouldn't regularly squash me in BBT4 events!

CEMfromMD said...

In response to your response in on my blog, I never claimed that I was good at PLO, just that I am slowly improving. The hand I blind pushed on you was the best hand I had seen at the final table as that time, and I was just rolling the dice and seeing how it came out. When I asked you the question about how the finished could have changed if F-Train didnt have such a large stack, I was speaking for the others at the table. I had no right or reason to still be alive in the tournamnet when it got to heads up. I am by far the worst PLO player that made the final table. Thanks for the evaluation of my play however, just another learning lesson for me in PLO for me to file away and remember in trying to improve my game.

Shrike said...

I didn't mean to be snarky ... just trying to encourage hand range analysis. -)