Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Short MATH report

Did well in some SnGs yesterday so I bought in for the MATH the old-fashioned way. We had thirty runners, and I was doing quite well, about sixth in chips after building back up after I ran TT into short-stacked Astin's AA (stop if you've heard this before).

So then of course I get moved to a sticky spot at a new table with a very aggro chipleader to my left and the tough TBA to my right, both of whom have me outchipped by a fair margin. I tighten up a fair bit and scuffle along with an average stack with twelve left (top four cash). Then I double up a shorty with this redonkulous beat:

Full Tilt Poker Game #5126295707: Mondays at the Hoy (38875684), Table 4 - 100/200
Seat 1: Mattazuma (1,104)
Seat 3: twoblackaces (15,889)
Seat 4: PirateLawyer (3,951)
Seat 5: pureprophet (14,040)
PirateLawyer posts the small blind of 100
pureprophet posts the big blind of 200
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to PirateLawyer [Ad Kd]
Mattazuma raises to 1,104, and is all in
twoblackaces folds
PirateLawyer raises to 3,951, and is all in -- easy raise to isolate with suited Big Slick
pureprophet folds
PirateLawyer shows [Ad Kd]
NumbBono sits down
NumbBono adds 2,163
TripJax sits down
TripJax adds 8,045
Mattazuma shows [Kh Tc] -- even better than I thought, he is dominated and I have a huge advantage
Uncalled bet of 2,847 returned to PirateLawyer
*** FLOP *** [7c Jh 4c]
*** TURN *** [7c Jh 4c] [Ks] -- still need to fade three outs
*** RIVER *** [7c Jh 4c Ks] [Td] -- fawk you FTP!!!!!!!!!!!!
PirateLawyer shows a pair of Kings
Mattazuma shows two pair, Kings and Tens
Mattazuma wins the pot (2,408) with two pair, Kings and Tens
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2,408 | Rake 0
Board: [7c Jh 4c Ks Td]
Seat 1: Mattazuma showed [Kh Tc] and won (2,408) with two pair, Kings and Tens
Seat 3: twoblackaces (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 4: PirateLawyer (small blind) showed [Ad Kd] and lost with a pair of Kings
Seat 5: pureprophet (big blind) folded before the Flop

Classic FTP RNG at its rivered 3-outer variety bad beat best.

So the antes kick in and I've got an M of 5 at our five-handed table with eleven players left and I have been patiently folding all marginal hands in marginal situations (in other words, I was very card dead at a time when I really couldn't afford to be) for a while as I try to find a spot to chip up.

So I pick up ducks on the button and jam after it's been folded to me (I put in just over 2500 to win 485; in other words I just want to increase my chip count by 9% without showdown by getting past the blinds uncontested). Of course Mattazuma now wakes up with aces and IGHN in tenth place.

Sigh. Poker is fun, but it can also be cruel. I'll have to wait at least another week to cash in the MATH in 2008.

No comments: