Monday, March 3, 2008

Intial foray of BBT Season 3: failure

I busted a few minutes from the first break of the MATH with a hand I've always disliked: AQ.

Comments welcome. My initial review: awkward stack sizes suck, and I played this hand like it was a cash game, not a tournament.

[Edit]

Full Tilt Poker, NL Hold'em Tournament, 30/60 Blinds, 5 Players

CO: 3,935
BTN: 8,635
Hero (SB): 2,290
BB: 3,955
UTG: 2,650

Pre-Flop: (90) Q A dealt to Hero (SB)
UTG folds, CO raises to 180, BTN folds, Hero raises to 600, BB folds, CO calls 420

-- AQ is strong enough to 3-bet, but I'll be OOP for the rest of the hand and pot-committed given my stack size. Given that, I pretty much have to jam almost any flop. I pray that a more-than-pot-sized flop bet gives me some fold equity.

Flop: (1,260) 4 J 3 (2 Players)
Hero bets 1,690 and is All-In, CO calls 1,690

I don't want a call, but this is not a threatening flop for my hand, so I have to fire.

Turn: (4,640) J (2 Players - 1 is All-In)


River: (4,640) 6 (2 Players - 1 is All-In)


Results: 4,640 Pot
CO showed T K (a flush, King high) and WON 4,640 (+2,350 NET)
Hero showed Q A (a pair of Jacks) and LOST (-2,290 NET)

Well it turns out I got called by a flush draw (that also happened to have two live cards) getting nearly 2:1 on the flop. Oh well. Awkward stack sizes suck.

I happen to think that villain's preflop call was pretty thin, though. Obviously my 3-betting range crushes KTs.

If I had to play this hand over, I would either i) flat-call the preflop raise, check-call the flop and jam the turn when the board pairs; or ii) raise to 850 or so preflop.

5 comments:

smokkee said...

i've busted outta more tourneys with AQ than any other hand. it's my nemesis.

btw, in REX55's post she talks about playing several tourneys using diff playing styles until she found the what worked best.

Shrike said...

Yeah, that was the one part of that post that caught my attention, but it lacked specifics.

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

AQ is not a bad hand. I actually don't mind this play. The hand kinda played itself out. I agree that the flop call was thin by CO KTs plays well post flop so it's really hard to say. That's just a preference thing. Post flop, based on pot odds, the hand played itself out. With two cards coming and potentially 3 extra outs with one overcard, that's 12 outs twice so it's a no brainer call. The hand just kinda plays out on its own here.

lj said...

i don't think there's much wrong w/ how you played it. you just got ul that villain is a pf calling station donk and hit the flop. i *might* raise a little more pre flop and show villain i'm committed, but i'm the queen of re-raising too small, so can't say too much on that.

Schaubs said...

53 events left! GLGL